Monday 21 February 2011

Blogging Accidentally

Hello.

Yip, my first word of my first ever blog is “hello”. It can only get better  from here on.

I’ve been trying to get myself to blog for a very long time now. Until now my “blog” has been Facebook statuses, but that only lasts that long and the limited space feels like an SMS. Yes I know I can post a long status, but who ever clicks on “See More”?

So then Friday(18 Feb) happened.

Nothing really amazing about the day. Work as usual and afterwards got home. Then off to collect an ADSL router which I then installed at some friends in De Tuin, Brackenfell. Nothing special about that and at about 21h45 I went back home. Got in my car. Felt okay. Started driving, still feeling okay.  Got to the Okovango  intersection.. AAAARHH!! Huge stomach cramps from nowhere. 

As I crossed the intersection it became worse by the second and I loosened my seatbelt to ease the pressure, not that it had any effect. Driving on and hoping that I make it home before I explode, I started feeling dizzy as I approached the Caltex filling station and just as I passed it, I passed out. Feinted into droomland. 

Next thing I know, I am being pulled from the car and I remember that it really felt like I was dreaming. That unreal feeling you get when you dream just before you wake up. I remember trying to wake up but to no avail. As they laid me down onto the sidewalk I realized that this is real. I’ve been in an accident. In almost 10 years of driving and miles and miles under my belt, I’ve never been in an accident and I’ve never caused one, but now I’ve been in one and I didn’t even know about it.

So as I lay on the sidewalk with people around me asking a million questions and trying to stabilise me, I started thinking. As things became more clear to me I started to realise what this was.

God had this planned for me. Showing me things I could never see without this accident.

Firstly, after going through a wall and into the side of a house, looking at the damage to the car and the minor injuries I incurred, it’s truly a miracle. I didn’t have my seatbelt fastened and the airbags also failed to deploy. Which mean that my head hit the steering wheel just as hard as the car hit the wall. I only have a broken nose and a bruised chin with some stitches.  No other logical explanation but for God saving me from any serious injuries in this one.

Secondly I saw how lucky I was when I got to the hospital and witnessing people who are really much worse off than myself. This gave me a new respect for people less privileged than myself.

To add to all of this, God made me realise that I could no longer just live my life from day to day. I got a second chance at this. No more holding back.

No more waiting for anything. No more “if only’s” or whatever is holding me back in life. I need to go out there and take it!

In the beginning of the year I didn’t have any new years’ resolutions as I don’t believe in it. But I had a new motto for my life: Work Hard, Play Hard and Pray Even Harder! This accident gave meaning to it. I now understand what this means.

So I started blogging as this is something I’ve been putting on hold for too long.
I now know why I should not wait for life.. There is only one way to go about life. ROCK IT!

Keep well.

3 comments:

  1. Nice first blog... Did they have a explanation for the passing out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No official explanation, but since the accident I heard f at least 4 other people who had the same kind of cramps. 2 of these people also feinted because of it. So maybe there is some bug in the air. Other opinions says it might be fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I alwways think about when i am old sitting on my stoep with my little grandchildren running around me, what stories will I tell them? What will make me look back and smile and think, "What a great life!". And finally, when you close your eyes to life, having many valuable possessions will not ever bring as many smiles and peace as the smiles provided by having 'rocked life' as you say. So never live for the wealth of materialism, but rather for the wealth of smiles brought by every adventure you set out to greet :)

    ReplyDelete